Frequently Asked Questions
- How many new associates does the firm expect to hire in 2012?
- This year we have 5-6 new first year associates starting throughout 2012.
- How many summer associates does the firm expect to hire in 2013?
- Brinks will have 7-10 summer associates firm-wide in our 2013 Summer Program.
- What is the present starting salary?
- Chicago: $160,000
Ann Arbor: $135,000
Salt Lake City: TBD
- What is the average length of time it takes for an associate to be offered partnership?
- The average length of time it takes for an associate to be offered partnership is eight years.
- When can I expect to receive a response concerning my candidacy after I apply or interview?
- It takes our Hiring Committee approximately 2-3 weeks to review candidates.
- How many hours a week does an associate normally work at your firm?
- Our associates typically bill 40 hours per week.
- How many billable hours a year do you normally expect an associate to work at Brinks?
- Chicago: 1950
Ann Arbor: 1950
Salt Lake City: 1850
The average amount an associate bills annually is 1985.
- What types of clients do you have?
- Our diverse client base covers all technical areas, from Fortune 500 companies to individual inventors and entrepreneurs.
- What is the ratio of partners to associates?
- The ratio of partners to associates is approximately 1:1.
- What sort of work will I be doing as an associate?
- All associates can expect to do a mix of patent prosecution and litigation.
- Do you allow new associates variety?
- Yes, new associates may have direct contact with the client.
- What types of in-house training programs do you have for your associates?
- We have regular seminars for attorneys at all experience levels. For our new associates, we offer three intensive boot camps:
- Patent Prosecution Boot Camp
- Litigation Boot Camp
- Trademark Boot Camp
- In addition to the boot camps, we offer an advanced legal writing seminar for our associates and several other seminars open to all attorneys. Our Director of Attorney Development works closely with our Associates Committee and the partnership to ensure that we are offering the types of programs and training that our associates want and need.
- Do you require associates to attend continuing legal education programs?
- Yes, associates are required to attend continuing legal education programs. We are an accredited CLE provider in Illinois. Accordingly, attorneys registered in the state of Illinois are issued credit for all internal training seminars they attend.
- Does the firm pay for any bar association memberships?
- Associates receive expense accounts immediately upon commencement of employment with the firm.
- What are an associate's fringe benefits?
- Brinks offers an extensive benefits package to new attorneys. These benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Health, Dental, Life, Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long-Term & Short Term
- Disability & Malpractice Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Profit Sharing and 401k Plan
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- Back-up Childcare
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Professional Expense Accounts
- Moving Expenses up to $4,000
- House Hunting Trip
- State Bar & USPTO Exam & Review Fees
- Business Casual Dress Code
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Fitness Center (Chicago)
- How often are associates paid?
- Associates are paid on the 15th and 30th of each month.
- Should I anticipate working for one partner or a group of partners?
- Both. Associates should expect to work individually for a shareholder in some cases, and on client teams with several shareholders in other cases.
- Is it a requirement for partnership that I develop my own client base?
- Developing a client base for entry into the partnership is desirable, but certainly not a requirement.
- Are associates allowed to do any pro bono work?
- Absolutely. The firm has an active Pro Bono Committee and encourages all attorneys to do pro bono.
- Will I have my own secretary or will I be sharing a secretary?
- Associates are typically paired with one or two other attorneys in a secretarial assignment.
- How many female attorneys and scientific advisors do you have in your office?
- At Brinks, a total of 16% of attorneys and scientific advisors are women.
- How many minority lawyers do you have in your office?
- At Brinks, a total of 20% of attorneys and scientific advisors are self declared as minorities.
- Do associates share in the revenue earned from business developed by the associate?
- This is one of many factors for bonus consideration.
- Is business development the most important factor for attaining partnership?
- This is one of many factors for partnership consideration.
- Do you provide back-up childcare?
- Yes, Brinks provides back-up childcare at an off-site facility.
- Does the firm provide domestic partner benefits?
- Yes, Brinks offers domestic partner benefits.